5.13.2013

Goodreads review roundup (take THAT, Monday the 13th!)

I am hard at work on revisions for THE OPHELIA PROPHECY, my second book from Tor, but I thought I'd take a break and post some cool snippets from recent Goodreads reviews. This is a sampling from roughly the last month -- there are TONS of new reviews since the RITA finalist announcements and the Vaginal Fantasy bookclub pick. You can see them all here.

The colored bits are parts I particularly enjoyed.

* * *
Well deserved RITA nominee for best first book. Great sci fi. A thinking woman's romance.
* * *

I thought I wouldn't like this book. I thought I wouldn't get into science fiction. I was wrong. 

* * *
. . . like the ghosts and their colonists I could not separate myself from this book until I had completed it.
* * *
I need to start by saying that I kind of pictured the whole novel like a movie. It would be a pretty good film! 
* * *
Fisher manages to find that perfect balance between romance and science fiction throughout this entire book. 
* * *
Interesting world building, relatable characters, good pacing . . .
* * *
Tightly plotted, enjoyable characters, self-contained . . .
* * *
At last: a sci-fi romance where the hero and heroine save each other. Repeatedly. This book was brilliant.
* * *
This book reminded me why I love reading so much. I had to force myself to put it down at the end of the night so that I could get some decent sleep!
* * *
I've read quite a bit of science fiction in my day, and this particular premise seemed very new and inventive to me.
* * *
Elizabeth is a great mary sue of a character that I find to be relatable because she's more science minded and not a total ditz. She's determined to find out why the ghosts exist instead of fading into the background like the others. I found myself trying to solve the mystery of the planet right along with Elizabeth.
* * *
I love how the author played with the human ability to ignore as a norm and the side effects of not existing that was created for the aliens and the world. I ate this book up.
* * *
As a scientist, I could relate to the research drive and policy problems. And the love story just tied it all together. (This one actually came via Twitter. Love it because it is one of two molecular biologists who have commented favorably on the science aspects of the story.)
* * *
Highly recommended for those of you who have been hungering for “sexytimes” … especially well done and plausible sexytimes… in your otherwise-hard sci-fi, but who may have despaired of finding it.
* * *
I felt captivated by it from the beginning and it was honestly a little shocking to discover that this was Sharon Fisher's first novel.
* * *
So I liked this book for a number of reasons, but let me just pause and thank Fisher for writing something clever . . . I thought the psychological and "racial" angles of this book were interesting and thought provoking. I actually found myself pausing to contemplate the nature of selfhood and psychology multiple times . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment